Probably the simplest and tastiest little lunch you’ll ever make, this tomato, mozzarella and basil salad is light, sweet and just plain yummy. This is one of my go-to recipes in summer when I need to make lunch quickly and my basil plants are blooming like crazy in the garden. It also makes a great starter or side dish on those lazy weekend braais. Leave out the pine nuts if you don’t tolerate them well, or swap them for toasted pumpkin seeds for variation.
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 250g fresh buffalo Mozzarella
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 4 extra basil leaves, roughly torn
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs pine nuts
- Slice the tomatoes into 1 cm slices, making 12 slices altogether.
- Slice the buffalo Mozzarella into 24 slices, each 1 cm thick.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a serving plate, alternating them with 2 slices of buffalo Mozzarella.
- Place the basil leaves between the Mozzarella slices.
- Mix together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and drizzle over the salad.
- Sprinkle with the remaining roughly torn basil leaves, sprinkle with pine nuts (if using) and season with salt and black pepper.