Not-so-sweet desserts are great, and the balsamic in this dessert makes the strawberries really pop with flavor. The recipe suggests strawberries but any combination of mixed berries should work well. Vanilla yoghurt has been suggested but a plain low fat yoghurt can also be used. I’ve found that plain Greek yoghurt cuts through the sweetness even more and goes great with balsamic. Use balsamic reduction if you have.
- 750g small ripe strawberries
- 2 Tbs. caster sugar
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 125ml fat free vanilla yoghurt
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- Wash the strawberries and remove the green stalks. If they are large slice them in half.
- Place the strawberries in a large glass bowl, sprinkle evenly with caster sugar and toss to coat.
- Set aside for 1-2 hours to marinate.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the strawberries and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for a further 20-30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, spoon the strawberries into four glasses, drizzle with the balsamic syrup, top with a dollop of vanilla yoghurt and garnish with the fresh mint leaves on top.