Perfect for restoring energy levels after exercise, this roasted butternut and tomato pesto pasta is simply delicious. If you have issues with pasta, leave and out and just have this dish as a salad. Add some grilled or baked chicken breast strips for some added protein or a more substantial pasta dish. You can also try serving it with a bowl of salad leaves (e.g. baby spinach and rocket leaves) dressed with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
- 500g rosa tomatoes, halved
- 500g peeled and cubed butternut (prepared weight)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 5ml mixed herbs
- a pinch of salt
- a light sprinkling of brown sugar
- 200g penne pasta
- ¼ (60ml) cup basil pesto
- basil leaves, roughly broken, for garnishing
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving
- black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° C and spray a baking tray with a non-stick spray.
- Place the prepared butternut and Rosa tomatoes on the baking tray, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with the mixed herbs, salt and sugar.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are just wrinkled and the butternut soft.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta, drain well and mix in the basil pesto and roasted vegetables once done.
- Dish into individual bowls/plates, top with the basil leaves, sprinkle with Parmesan and season with black pepper to taste.