Barley is a great whole grain to eat if you need to get more fiber into your diet. Eating more fiber requires you to consume more liquid because fiber absorbs so much liquid. This mushroom and barley soup is, therefore, a great combination. Plus its got heaps of flavor. If you like the flavor of mushroom and barley and you find it’s a safe meal choice for you, try making a mushroom and barley risotto.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped (100g)
- 2 medium leeks, chopped (150g)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped (150g)
- 2 x 250g punnets mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1.5 litre low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup barley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pot.
- Add the onion, leeks and carrots and cook for 10-15 minutes until the leeks and onion are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the vegetable stock and barley. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the barley is cooked and vegetables are soft.
- Stir until the mixture is blended.
- Leave to cool and blend further in a blender if a smoother consistency is desired.
- Season with salt and black pepper and serve hot.