Everyone needs something sweet in their lives from time to time, and this baked cinnamon apples recipe is sure to hit that sweet spot. Different from the norm, this recipe makes a great addition to an Easter or Christmas feast. If nuts trigger your IBS symptoms then eliminate them from the recipe and enjoy the baked apple as is. Cut through the sweetness by having this dessert with some calming chamomile tea.
- 4 small apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup raisins, optional
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs boiling water
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- a pinch salt
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ cup walnuts, crushed, chopped or broken into smaller pieces, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C.
- Place the cut, peeled and sliced apples in a mixing bowl and gently mix all of the ingredients together, ensuring that the sauce is evenly coated over the apples.
- Put the apples on a non-stick baking tray or shallow casserole dish, cover and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes until the apples are soft and the cinnamon sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.
- Serve with low-fat plain or vanilla yoghurt.